Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Best Job in Memphis


       Although my time working at Caritas Village has been relatively short thus far, it has been nothing but a learning experience. To give a little bit of a back story, I am a freshman at Rhodes College working as a community service work study student, which is how I found out about Caritas. Prior to coming here, however, I had a position in the library to check out and shelve books. Around the middle of August, a very close friend of mine passed away, and it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to deal with. He was, without a doubt, the most genuinely kind person to anyone.  Not a few weeks after his passing I heard about Caritas, and that I could still do work study off campus for them-- it was perfect. As stated on the ‘about’ page of the website, the term “Caritas” is translated from Latin and defined to mean “love for all people”. I felt as if it was something God, as well as my friend Hollis, were leading me to do. Caritas is a place where love is open for everyone without prejudice-- the type of love Hollis exhibited, and the type of love I’m learning day by day to demonstrate myself. I feel that working here is a way that I can honor him and further myself to be a person as outstanding as he was.
Needless to say I love working here. After my first time returning, regulars began to remember my name already and show a genuine interest in who I am, where I am from, and how I enjoy life in general. Everyone here works so hard at what they do, and it is so inspiring to push myself more in work as well as at school because of their determination. It is a community where everyone wants to truly help each other regardless of circumstance, and I am so happy to have become a part of it. Not only do I truly enjoy deciphering Onie’s calendar to make sure all events are announced for everyone, but the homemade soups and quesadillas are always a plus. 
I hope to be here three years down the line when I am a senior, and I hope by then not only has everyone here made an impact on me, but that I can make an impact as well. 

                                    
          
Virginia Ariail
Rhodes College 
Class of 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment