Monday, October 27, 2014

About Me: Sara Swisher, Media Intern

Caritas Village has opened me up to different lifestyles. I have come into contact with people that haven’t had the same advantages as me and those who have dedicated their lives to service. These various perspectives make me think about my own life path. I have always felt uncomfortable picturing myself in a “traditional” lifestyle. I don’t like the idea of pursuing a career solely for money and not to develop as person. I want to learn about other people and help society. The people I have met at Caritas Village have helped me feel comfortable with wanting to help others. I want to preserve the environment, educate kids, and eliminate violence. I want to save the world. I want to live in Caritas.

My name is Sara Swisher and I am 21 years old. I’m a junior at Christian Brothers University studying English Education with a minor in Sustainability (Environmental Studies). I want to teach high school English or write for a non-profit. I am interning at Caritas Village because I want to develop my professional writing skills, grow as a person, and receive an English credit from my university. My duties as the media intern is to blog (of course), write and construct the monthly newsletter, and update Facebook. I grew up in Bartlett in the same house and was around the same people for 18 years. I was sheltered and believed that everyone had the same advantages and beliefs as me. Even in college, where different races, religions, and economic classes now surround me; I still feel like I’m around people who are like me. Even though we are different in some respects, we still have the same vision on how life should be lived and we're all on the same general path in life:
 Degree+career+marriage+kids+retirement=happiness
Caritas Village has shown me diverse lifestyles and people. This blog is an opportunity for people to experience the diversity and good work of the Village. Mainly volunteers run the Village’s kitchen. The kitchen only hires a couple of residents from the neighborhood. Artists often donate or display their art at the Village. After school programs for neighborhood kids are ran by volunteers from Theatre Memphis. Various art clubs, bible study groups, and a medical clinic host their events at the Village. Welcome to my digital flipbook of the Binghamton Community Center Caritas Village. I hope to inspire people to learn from volunteers and community members by telling my story of how these people impacted me. I hope this blogs inspire you to change the world and live in Caritas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment